Monday, August 21, 2017

August 21, 2017

Family and Friends,

I had a great week this week! It started with a great zone conference that we had in Modesto last Tuesday. It was focused on using the scriptures to present doctrine and then to show the blessings that come from applying that doctrine in our lives. I felt the spirit so much. While President Palmer was bearing his testimony I could see him glowing. I think that it is a real thing to be able to physically see somebody's countenance shine when they bear their testimony. It was an experience I will never forget. I cannot really even remember what he said, but I remember how I felt. It was great. We were able to conduct a zone break out after the meeting and we talked about having the faith to find those who are prepared. I felt the spirit as I bore my testimony on finding people who are ready. As missionaries we sometimes get discouraged because of how many people say no, but the joy you find when someone lets you share is priceless. I am so grateful for the scriptures that we have. They touch people's lives. The Book of Mormon is the tool we use to convert others.

Now I would like to share about a couple of our new investigators that we picked up this week from knocking on doors and what the experience was like. Our first is Tiara. We knocked on her door in a complex close to the college. She opened up and was extremely kind. We asked if we could share a message about eternal families. She said that would be nice, but for us to come back. We went back the next week and took a member with us. As we taught her the Plan of Salvation we really focused on our Savior and why he is important. We shared Alma 7:11-13 with her which reads:

11 And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.
12 And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.
13 Now the Spirit knoweth all things; nevertheless the Son of God suffereth according to the flesh that he might take upon him the sins of his people, that he might blot out their transgressions according to the power of his deliverance; and now behold, this is the testimony which is in me.

We asked the member that was with us if he could bear his testimony on that scripture. I could see Tiara tearing up as our member bore a powerful testimony. It was a great lesson. We have a return appointment for this Friday. So please pray that she read the Book of Mormon and prayed about it. Our next experience was with Flower. We taught Flower the Restoration on her doorstep. It was a good experience and we shared Moroni's promise (Moroni 10:3-5) with her. We told her that if she prayed to know if Joseph Smith is a prophet she would find her answer. Our return appointment fell through with her, but we hope to meet with her soon. Please pray for her.

To give an update on other investigators mentioned in previous letters... Josh is doing really good. He is reading his Book of Mormon and praying to know if this is true. In our lesson last week he committed and picked a date to be baptized on October 22. We are excited for him. We wish it were a little bit earlier than that, but that is what Josh was comfortable with so that is all that matters. Our investigator Brandon was baptized yesterday! It was such a good service. It was so amazing to see another one of Heavenly Father's children enter the waters of baptism. Missions are so great!

We were able to attend our Branch Conference yesterday as well. It was such a good meeting. Our Branch President gave a very good talk on Repentance. Something that stuck out to me that he shared was that from his experience the hardest thing to teach someone is how to forgive themselves. I am going to try to paraphrase what he said, "If we want to follow the example of our Savior he forgave everyone so we need to do the same including forgiving ourselves." I got so much from this talk and I cannot do it justice... I don't even know if I quoted it correctly, but I know that if we look to our future with a brightness of hope and not dwell on the sorrows of our past we can feel the power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ bring us the joy of salvation.

I love this work!


-- 
Love,
Elder Willden


Elder Miller and I at zone conference


Elder Guerrero and I


Brandon's Baptism
I got athletes foot, but it is all taken care of now. TOO MUCH HEAT!!! FUNGUS





No comments:

Post a Comment