Tuesday, August 29, 2017

August 28, 2017

Family and Friends,

I had a very good week! A lot of great experiences have happened and I am so happy! To start off my letter this week I would like to share an experience we had last week with one of our investigators. Josh, who is progressing towards baptism on October 22, was saying a prayer after one of our lessons with him. In this prayer he said something really significant. He said, "Heavenly Father I am thankful for being able to remember what I learn in the Book of Mormon." We asked him about that after the prayer and he explained that usually everything he studies whether it be a document, movie, you name it... He usually cannot remember anything. He told us that it is different with the Book of Mormon. He said that he can remember everything he learns and it has a profound effect on his mind. We were able to explain that being the power of the Holy Ghost. As a testator to our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ the Holy Ghost can and will help us remember the spiritual principles that we learn each day. It was very amazing to see the way the spirit has been working with Josh. I am thankful for Heavenly Father being mindful of our investigator. We are being blessed.

A couple weeks ago we taught a college student named Sal. We have not talked to him since, but we have stopped by his apartment a couple times. One of those times was this week. Right when we knocked on the door his roommate answered the door. He was holding a Book of Mormon...the one that we had given Sal. He explained that Sal was at school and we asked him what he was holding. He said that Sal had shared it with him and told him to check it out. Apparently Sal had told Kevin, his roommate, to check out this Book because it was really interesting. We are hoping that something comes out of it. So please pray for someone in that apartment to feel the spirit!

On Saturday morning last week we went a contacted a referral we had gotten from the assistants. His name is also Sal. Haha. Well we went and we taught him the Restoration and he was pretty open to the message. We talked to him a lot about the Book of Mormon and what it is. He told us that he would read and pray about it. He actually prayed at the end of our lesson. It turns out that two of his supervisors at work are Mormons and that he also has a co-worker that is Mormon. It was a really good lesson and I could really feel the spirit there. Well.... After the lesson and prayer we were walking outside. And we saw two guys coming up the driveway. Sal kind of chuckled in the back and it turned out these were the JW's doin' there Saturday morning rounds! It was the funniest reaction I have ever seen from a J-dub. They looked at us coming out the front door...and with an "oh crap" look they turned around and walked off. We smiled and asked how they were doing and they said they were doing good, but they kept walking. It was so awesome! Totally showed them who's boss.

So I had another once in a life-time experience this week on my mission! Al Fox Carraway the "tattooed mormon" came to the Turlock YSA branch. I thought it was gonna be sort of overrated....but I was wrong. She is an amazing person. I wish I could read her book....but I am on a mission. She told her story of how she met missionaries and how she joined the church. And then the sacrifices that she made to follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost. These were not small sacrifices. On her 21 birthday she went to dinner with her Dad and he told her that she needed to choose between him and the church. Well, she chose the church! She eventually came to Utah and went through many struggles. After a lot of struggles and trials she is now speaking with her father and living a very happy life sharing the gospel and inspiring others to do the same. It was an inspiring story! I got pictures so I will send them.

Brandon was confirmed this Sunday! It was a great experience. I had a very spiritually edifying sacrament meeting this week. I would like to share the lyrics from what is now my second favorite hymn:

1. Savior, Redeemer of my soul,
Whose mighty hand hath made me whole,
Whose wondrous pow’r hath raised me up
And filled with sweet my bitter cup!
What tongue my gratitude can tell,
O gracious God of Israel.
2. Never can I repay thee, Lord,
But I can love thee. Thy pure word,
Hath it not been my one delight,
My joy by day, my dream by night?
Then let my lips proclaim it still,
And all my life reflect thy will.
3. O’errule mine acts to serve thine ends.
Change frowning foes to smiling friends.
Chasten my soul till I shall be
In perfect harmony with thee.
Make me more worthy of thy love,
And fit me for the life above.

As I was studying this hymn while we were partaking of the sacrament I pondered on the words contained. If you think about this hymn it is very personal. I have found in my life times when the Redeemer has "filled with sweet my bitter cup" He does that because He loves us. Also the lyrics "Chasten my soul till I shall be in perfect harmony with thee. Make me more worthy of thy love and fit me for the life above." Isn't that why we are here? To learn and to grow? This prayer hit me hard. I know that the Savior loves us all because of what He did for us. And we cannot repay Him, but we can try our best to be worthy. I know my Savior lives and He cares for each of us in a very personal way. I am very humbled to be able to proclaim His love and His gospel. I pray that each of us can live our lives knowing that we have a Helper, a Comforter, a Savior. I love you all and hope you have a great week!

-- 
Love,
Elder Willden





No comments:

Post a Comment