Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Family and Friends,

To start off our week this week we were able to go to Yosemite National Park. We hiked a trail that was called the "Mist Trail" and went up to Vernal Falls. It was a beautiful hike! I was dying though...missionary shape is not good shape at all. My legs felt like jelly all week this week. As we drove into the park we were able to see "Half Dome," a well-known hike that brings in a lot of tourists. It looked awesome. It was massive. I remember my ward mission leader in Stockton wanted me to go with him on that hike after my return home. It was definitely good to go into the mountains and get some fresh air. As all of you know I hate hiking, but that was definitely needed. I enjoyed every minute of it. Something that was really interesting was that people actually live up there. I don't know how they get groceries or anything, but they do it!

I studied two hymns this week that really touched my heart and have kept me pondering on them daily. The first one that I studied was "Lead, Kindly Light." This hymn is pretty cool. Recently I have been going through hymns and any of the words that I don't know I look them up in the dictionary. President Uchtdorf gave an amazing talk this past General Conference on our journey home. There is a line in this hymn that resparked those thoughts..."The night is dark, and I am far from home;
Lead thou me on!" Sometimes this world is very dark and we cannot see where we are going, but the Savior can be our Light. Some words in this hymn that I looked up in the dictionary were: moor, fen, crag, torrent, and garish. I thought it was very interesting because beforehand I did not know what any of these meant. And those words really can be symbolic for how the world is today. I also studied the hymnal "Do What Is Right." I thought this hymn really exemplified the principle that if we are doing what is right we are free from the bonds of the adversary. We really can find freedom in being obedient.

Following some counsel from President Palmer, Elder Stewart and I have been spending a lot more time on the college campus trying to find new investigators. We haven't had very much success if you look at it numbers wise. But we have been giving out a lot more Book of Mormons and having so many more positive gospel conversations. These touch points can lead to so much in the future. Giving someone a Book of Mormon is such a great accomplishment because if they read it they are going to feel the spirit. It is more meaningful for me to being able to help those in the same generation. These young single adults are at a point in their life that is critical for them to make positive choices. And I am very happy to be set apart to help them find peace. I have found that a lot of these youth have not ever recognized or felt the spirit. They are open to it, but they have never had a serious knowledge of what the Savior has done for them. It is very sad. But that is why we are here!(:

In recent studies I was reading in Doctrine and Covenants 88 and there were some verses that had special meaning to me. We are all striving to have an eye single to the glory of God. There is a promise that we will see Him if we do!

67 And if your eye be single to my glory, your whole bodies shall be filled with light, and there shall be no darkness in you; and that body which is filled with light comprehendeth all things.
68 Therefore, sanctify yourselves that your minds become single to God, and the days will come that you shall see him; for he will unveil his face unto you, and it shall be in his own time, and in his own way, and according to his own will.

I think that this really shows our potential and also shows that God is very much alive. He is there for us and He loves us. I know that He lives and that He will help us when we need it. If we strive to be pure and clean we will recognize God in our lives. I love Him and I know that he helps me so much.

Just an update on our investigators. Tyler is doing super well and he is progressing towards baptism on November 4. We are super excited for him. Tyler definitely has changed so much in these 2 weeks that I have known him and he is making the sacrifices to come closer to our Savior. Alexis is doing so good too! She is progressing towards baptism on November 11. Both of these investigators have been doing everything they need to do to progress and we are so happy for them. It definitely hasn't been a perfect journey for them, but they are trying and I think that is all that the Lord expects. To tell you a little bit more about Alexis...She investigated when she was 16 years old and her father would not allow her to be baptized. Now she is 18 and ready to make that change in her life. We are lucky to guide her through this experience. I love the YSA work and the success we are seeing is a bonus.

I love you all and hope you have an amazing week!

-- 
Love,
Elder Willden




























No comments:

Post a Comment