Monday, January 30, 2017

Family and Friends,

So I am sure you got pictures, but to start our week off last Monday night we went to Alejandra and Brett's for dinner. It was a good start to my week. These people have a special place in my heart. I know if she reads this on my blog she will give me crap, but they are so awesome. We were able to share some scriptures with them and Brett gave a really good closing prayer. I will definitely be sad when I leave this area. I have been here so long that it feels like home.

This past Tuesday we had the opportunity to do service at St. Mary's dining room. This is a non-denominational house for the homeless. They feed people that cannot support themselves. I don't know exactly how it works, but it was cool to go help out. We were helping because they have this week where they have the California DMV out in their facility to give out Drivers License's/Identification Cards. We helped fill out the forms to get them those cards. They have to go through Identification that makes sure that they are homeless and have never had an ID card and so forth. It was cool to be able to do this. But it always makes me uncomfortable seeing the poverty and especially in that area where I have seen a lot go down.... Luckily that area is not in mine and Elder Payne's area anymore.

So after the service on Tuesday we went down to Modesto to attend the Trainer/New Missionary meeting. I thought this meeting was one of the best ones I have gone to. We talked a lot about finding and the eight new principles that the First Presidency wants us to use. As a companionship we decided to use family history, finding 10 prospective elders, using social media to strengthen members, and offering FHE to families in our ward and having them invite people to listen. It was super cool to see the revelation that our leaders are receiving. It is working. I had a lot of questions answered about training as well. I am doing my best to help Elder Payne be better and as I do this I am getting better. President Palmer is really helping me out and it is amazing the support that I have.

On Wednesday we were able to go back down to Modesto to see the world-wide missionary broadcast. This was amazing. The new schedule that we have is so cool! As missionaries we now have the agency to choose what we do. And this will help us to carry our schedules over to after our mission.

Something funny to mention... So we now have 4 Elders in our ward and one of them loves to have eating contests with me. So Uncle Larry decided to take us to Papapavlo's. And Larry will get us whatever we want because he is just that cool. So Elder Jeong and I went all out. We ordered the Porterhouse Steak, Shrimp Scampy, and Lobster Tail. This consisted of 30 ounces of meat. The steak was 24 ounces. We ended up tying. Because we both finished. But you should look this restaurant up. It is is Stockton, CA. It is freaking nuts. I don't know how I finished it, but I probably gained 10 pounds just eating there. Well, yesterday we went to a members home and they were going to feed us sloppy joes. They said we could eat all that we wanted. Elder Jeong and I looked at each other and just decided it wasn't worth it. haha. So yeah I am trying to lose weight now. I think.

Oh I almost forgot to put this in.... So I had to make some bike repairs this week. 40 FREAKING DOLLARS to replace 2 SPOKES. I was so ticked off. I guess the labor costed 35 BUCKS.... It was so annoying. But it had to be fixed. So I don't know how much money I have in my account now.... It's nuts.

So I wanted to tell you about Andi. She came to church on Sunday. We gave her a Book of Mormon last Sunday and she is already in 3 Nephi. It is super cool. I am excited to be able to meet with her this week. I will keep you all updated.

Spiritual thought this week is Luke 15:8-10. This parable that Jesus Christ gave is one that is definitely overlooked. When we are looking for those lost coins in our lives we need to light the house and sweep first. Then we can diligently search for the lost coin. Something I really like about this too is that the lady was probably so happy after this happened because she found the coin and her house was clean. As we look for these lost coins keep in mind that we need to have the pure light of Christ in our lives to find them. The best way to have this is to develop charity. It is one of the hardest to have, but as we learn in Moroni 7, we can pray daily for charity and we can develop this attribute.

I love this work.

-- 
Love,
Elder Willden


WE FOUND A CAFE RIO!!!!!! I AM SO PUMPED. It was just built and opened last week.


No comments:

Post a Comment